Enter SEARCH WORD HERE to only search Grow A Gardener

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Prepping your Garden for a Hurricane


Faced with a large garden and hurricane Irma charging right for us, I thought I would share my prep work for this week.

PRUNE
Anything that looks like it might snap off in a wind storm. Don't necessarily cut the whole limb off, but trim it back to where it looks strong. Strive for a pine tree-type shaping if possible.

SUPPORT
Any tree that might be knocked over. We used 10' rebar and 2" wide Velcro to support weak trees in several places. Bananas with fruit have 2x4 beams wedged as tightly into the ground as we can muster. Odds are we will harvest the Dwarf Orinoco bananas right before the storm.

POSITION
We have over 100 potted plants in 7-gallon pots so ours are going to stay where they are: outside. If you have the space, place potted plants in garage, in the house, or against your house or fence. I plan on strapping my carts to our fence.

WEIGH IT DOWN
When you can't move it, weigh it down or strap it down. Concrete blocks on top of storage containers. Bungee cords strapping lids in place.

BRING INSIDE
Anything you can carry: tools, pots, trays, fertilizer...


If you have other suggestions, email me at growagardener@gmail.com and I will update this post.