Enter SEARCH WORD HERE to only search Grow A Gardener

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Updated EASY Veggie/Fruit Breads

After making batch after batch of these breads, this has become my standard for making fruit/veggie bread. I love easy...

Preheat oven to 350º

Mix well in bowl 1:
About 2 cups mashed or grated garden item such as bananas, sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin. They can be raw or cooked.
Dash molasses (I use blackstrap)
2 eggs
4 tablespoons melted butter
dash vanilla

Mix well in bowl 2:
1.25 cups sugar
2 cups flour (I use King Arthur WHITE Whole Wheat)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt 

I mix "bowl 2" in bulk. Each recipe fits perfectly into a 24 oz, wide mouth canning jar. That way I can just pull a jar from my pantry and add the wet ingredients.


Bread addition ideas:
Cinnamon (I use up to 2 teaspoons per batch)
Allspice (just a tad)
Nutmeg (just a tad)
Chocolate chips (1-2 handfuls)
Chopped nuts (1-2 handfuls to mix or sprinkled on top)
Raisins (1-2 handfuls)
Edible seeds (1-2 handfuls)

Mix dry into wet
Mix should be glossy. If not, add water (I use potato water) a tablespoon at a time until there is a gloss. My carrot version consistently needs water added.

Spray nonstick, then fill pan(s)

Times are approximate:
350º for 60 minutes in one bread loaf
350º for 45 minutes for two bread loaves
350º for 30 minutes for cupcakes



If you don't have a cupcake tin, use narrow mouth canning jar screw lid rims.  These are carrot and raisin muffins ready for the oven.