Enter SEARCH WORD HERE to only search Grow A Gardener

Monday, January 23, 2017

Vegetable Soup Recipe.



When steamed veggies get pushed around the fridge for a day, they are revived the next day in a salad, roasted, or marinated. When that doesn't finish them off, they end up in soup. I have no real recipe but will provide the basics that we find delicious for a non-dairy soup. (That's a whole other recipe...)

As a crock pot fanatic, I cook many, many things in it including soup.

Check your freezer for your saved diced cabbage cores, diced pineapple cores (really!), peeled broccoli and cauliflower stalk centers, green peppers, and a WHOLE hot pepper. Scour though your pantry for onions on the way out, potatoes that are greening and need a good peeling before adding, and small dried beans such as your own pigeon peas.

Cover veggies with at least 2 inches of liquid...use water or shove your home grown tomatoes in the blender, whiz, and add. I whiz onion and green peppers with the tomatoes at this faze. No peeling, no seeding. Believe me you will grow to love this fresh flavor. Makes it easier on my raw onion/raw green pepper intolerance by breaking them up and cooking for a long time. (I DO eat them raw, when alone, if no one will be near me for the next 12 hours.)

Set your crock pot on either low if you are not in a hurry or high if you are. Once the veggies begin to get tender, (use a fork and try to pierce), add all your leftover refrigerator veggies to the crock pot. If they were big chunks, dice them up first. Add all! Be creative. I have NEVER made the same soup twice. Ever.

When everything is tender grab the salt; possibly grab the meat stock. I love chicken stock with tomatoes. Sometimes I add, sometimes not. COSTCO has what I consider the best organic meat stocks. Add a bit, taste, add a bit more. If you are waiting on the salt taste using COSTCO stock, you have to add that yourself. A pinch per pint is what I usually use. If you did not use pineapple cores you might need a touch of sweetener. My choice is stevia a pinch at a time. Not enough, you can tell; too much, you can tell.

It's magical making food from what others toss away. Enjoy yourself. Adjust as you need or have. Ask the hubby. I don't have a recipe.