Enter SEARCH WORD HERE to only search Grow A Gardener

Sunday, May 8, 2016

Insects: millipedes in the house and garden.

The millipedes are starting to make it indoors so I thought I would share my research and observations.

Millipedes hang out where there is organic matter: dead or alive. This is good and bad. They eat decomposing organic matter but they also nibble on seedlings. This presents me with a love/hate relationship with them in my garden.

However, in my house they are not welcome. It seems that once a year they start invading my home and neither kitty is interested in assisting helping control them. In our house, the millipedes make a beeline to the shower looking for moisture. Sprays are not 100% effective to control millipedes. I prefer not to use sprays with our furry kids.

Options are limited in controlling millipedes: sweep them outside or handpick/vacuum them up then dispose of them as you see fit.