Enter SEARCH WORD HERE to only search Grow A Gardener

Sunday, July 9, 2017

Jamaican Burr Cucumbers take over on their own




Cucumis anguria

Jamaican Burr Cucumber vines popped up all on their own from a fruit I missed when cleaning up last year. Plants are just wonderful. They know when they want to grow. These did not pop up in the dry, cooler winter, they waited until it starting pouring daily and the temperature cranked up.

The vine has taken over as a ground cover in my orchard around my figs. So much growth that I had to lift and lay them back upon themselves or they would have overgrown my pineapples growing in pots. It did take a long time for them to start flowering, but now there are tons of flowers and my bees are happy to pollinate them.

If you do not have a plant that attracts bees nearby, you will need one for Jamaican Burr Cucumbers. I highly recommend any salvia plant. Some are perennial and some are annuals however they all attract bees. 

This plant resists disease and insects in our summer heat and humidity. Who could ask for more?

I plan on planting another crop of these in another row in the orchard as a ground cover as a succession planting before these give up. 

To read more about Jamaican Burr Cucumber and for recipes, click here

To buy Jamaican Burr Cucumber seeds, click here.