Enter SEARCH WORD HERE to only search Grow A Gardener

Sunday, July 2, 2017

Basic Seed Packet Storage




This seed storage article is a follow up to my seed fermenting article.

Personally, I go to great lengths to keep my seed in as near perfect condition as I can manage because I produce and sell my seeds online. However, most home gardeners buy seed packets and don't want that much work.

Below is the easiest and cheapest way I know of to store seed packets:
  1. Put a 1 inch layer of uncooked rice in a quart glass jar that has a tight fitting lid. A wide-mouth canning jar works well for this. The rice will pull moisture away from seeds and the paper seed packet.
  2. Put a layer of coins or buttons on top of the rice. This layer will prevent the seed packets from actually touching the seed packets and passing moisture back on them.
  3. Add seed packets to jar and secure lid snugly.
  4. Store in the warmest part of your refrigerator. 
Stored in this manner, your seeds could last many, many years depending on the seed itself.

To use stored seed, allow jar to come to room temperature before opening. If you take the jar outside, plan on starting a new jar with new rice when you bring them back in.