Enter SEARCH WORD HERE to only search Grow A Gardener

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Arracacha, Andean Carrot





Arracacha (ar-ah-CAH-cha)
AKA Andean Carrot, Peruvian carrot, Peruvian parsnip
Arracacia xanthorrhiza

I bought two plants for $22 on eBay in November 2016. When they arrived, I was very disappointed they were snapped off tops, with no tuber attached, and not rooted. The "cuttings?" were just shoved in a tiny pot with soil. The seller refunded my money after I complained that one was dead on arrival and that I did not have great hopes for the other one.

Well I babysat the "other one" through the winter and looks great. It even has grown offsets, adding five plants around the base in which I plan to propagate and plant in the soil.

Great information and illustration of the plant with roots is available here:
https://www.cultivariable.com/andean-roots-tubers/how-to-grow-arracacha/ 
More good stuff here including a nice photo of how to propagate it:
https://permaculturenews.org/2013/09/04/arracacha-the-perennial-root-of-the-andes/

Arracacha in Brief:
  • Perennial or easy to propagate annual plant
  • Protect from frost
  • A carbohydrate plant plus vitamin C
  • Too hard to eat raw, needs to be cooked
  • Flavor mix of carrot, potato, and celery
  • It requires part shade in our SWFL summers
  • Container growing is not recommended for growing the root
  • 6-13 months required to grow large roots 
  • Unknown if root knot nematodes bother this plant
Only time will tell if Arracacha can survive our summers here in SWFL. Check back, I will add to this post as I have information.

UPDATE: I am sad to say that Arracacha did not survive the heat, humidity, and downpours.