Enter SEARCH WORD HERE to only search Grow A Gardener

Friday, February 3, 2017

Stevia as a cover crop.



This spring I will be planting Stevia as one of many ground covers for in my "orchard".

Stevia Stevia Rebaudiana Bertoni v. Criole is an herb that is used as a natural sweetener. It is touted as being 30 times sweeter than sugar. Some people love it; others find it bitter. I have personally witnessed people trying it and spitting it out yet most want more. John and I love it and use it in all our drinks.

I have been growing a couple of stevia plants for several years now. One is in the ground and the other is in a pot. They are perennials in our SWFL sub-tropical location. Mine have been subjected to light frosts and sometimes die back but so far they have always returned. The amazing thing is that it does survive our blistering summers of 94º highs and 90º humidity.

The best way to propagate stevia is with cuttings. However, finding enough plants to make hundreds of cuttings is not going to happen anytime soon with my two plants. So I researched about planting seeds. It appears that the black seeds (versus tan) germinate better and that germination is more successful being exposed to light. That said, I plan on scattering the seeds by hand and just watering where they will grow. Knowing tiny seeds can disappear in our sandy soil with watering, I have ordered plenty of seeds. Keep your fingers crossed for me.