Enter SEARCH WORD HERE to only search Grow A Gardener

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Seminole Pumpkin Bread.






 




With the bumper crop of Seminole Pumpkins we have this year, I needed to start baking. Thank goodness for some cooler weather so I could use the oven. I planted my seeds in June and these vines are still producing!

Here is the recipe I used:

Seminole Pumpkin Bread
  • Preheat oven to 325º.
  • Halve, remove seeds with fingers, use a large spoon to scrape out pulp, remove peel and stem (I used a knife), then grate one small Seminole Pumpkin. This should be about three cups of packed, grated, pumpkin. If not, fill in what is needed with fresh, grated sweet potato.
  • In a large bowl whisk three eggs. Whisk and add a dash of vanilla, dash of molasses, 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite salt, and 1 cup of sugar. When sugar is moist, slowly whisk in 3/4 cup cooking oil. I use olive oil but you can use any kind you have on hand.
  • Separately mix 1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour or 2 cups of regular flour. I use King Arthur WHITE Whole Wheat flour. Add 2 teaspoons cinnamon, (plus allspice and/or nutmeg to spice it up a bit), 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder and mix WELL.
  • Use a dry cup measure to add flour mix to wet batter. Mix completely. Fold in pumpkin. Pour into a greased loaf pan. 
  • Bake about 100 minutes at 325º in a glass pan placed on a metal pan (to keep the bottom from burning). Keep an eye on it the last 10 minutes if you can. Remove and cool on rack. Use spatula to release edges from pan. Turn upside down and the loaf should release.

YUMMY

Photo above shows my arthritis grater. This was purchased after I grated my thumb knuckle to the bone with a regular hand grater. I just adore it. If you want one yourself please use this link, I get a few cents and it costs you nothing additional: http://amzn.to/2iPvlVg

Yes, I have 30 FRESH Seminole Pumpkin seeds for $5 with free shipping on eBay