Enter SEARCH WORD HERE to only search Grow A Gardener

Friday, June 10, 2016

The Harty Family Food Farm.







Tearing out the old garden, temporarily leaving only the producing beds.

John was my back helper this week. He dug out most of the bananas, leaving only the producing ones until we have an irrigation install date. "My guy" also removed galvanized screws and hauled bed frames to the curb. He put solarization film, as a temporary hold, so weeds hopefully don't grow, over the cleared out beds.

I dismantled the drip irrigation around the beds, saving all the "reusable" parts for new garden and offering the leftovers to email members.

I hate NUTSEDGE. Digging this out daily so that it does not get established in the new lot. Where is my bobcat guy? I need my compost spread out on the lot!

Helper, Kevin was not available when we were. My neighbor's strong 14 year old, Jonathan, helped on Sunday by removing the almost dead passion fruit vines and trunk. He also dug out a decomposing morninga stump and helped with high and heavy projects. Jonathan lives next door and wants to buy a go-cart so he is very motivated. Frankie, a Master Gardener's grandson, is to help out today: Friday.

It looks like we will be using a battery operated 4-zone irrigation controller. We will only be using 3 zones but they don't make a 3-zone. This eliminates digging from the box on the OTHER side of the house or the cost of an electrician to install one on the closest side of the house. The controller is more expensive however we only have to replace batteries once a year, just like our smoke detectors. We THINK we are saving big bucks by doing this. I'll keep you posted if we made another mistake.