Enter SEARCH WORD HERE to only search Grow A Gardener

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Drying Beads, I LOVE THEM


Details of this product are in a previous post. Click here to read.

I am so impressed with this product. The product right out of the bag had a humidity of about 7%.



I took some pelleted (also treated with a fungicide) seeds I had left over from my failure of growing spinach and THOUGHT they were a reduced humidity being stored in with some flower desiccant. After getting my humidity meters I found otherwise.

I added "equal weight" (I ball-parked) of beads to seeds and the humidity dropped to 10%. Beads are in the wash cloth for easy removal. I then removed the beads and sealed the jar with my Foodsaver attachment for canning jars. I now can store this in my house without refrigeration!



The label on this lid is wrong. I put a sticker on it after the photo with the correct information.

Below is another experiment I am working on. The jar adjusted to under 10% humidity with the beads.



I dip into this jar of summer seeds a lot. Canning jars are too difficult for me to get the seed packets and my hand into. Humidity went up to about 22% after the jar was opened and closed several times. It is now maintaining 18% humidity level as shown below without re-drying the beads. Very exciting.

The goal is 100. Humidity plus temperature = 100.

My house is 82º and the humidity in the jar is 18% and that equals 100.



Below shows the current humidity of the house at 56% and our temperature is 82º.

82 plus 56 equal 138.